Windows Steam on Mac OS X
Uploader: Easy PC Tutorials
Size: 13.34 MB
Date: September 27, 2013
Check out the written tutorial here.
How to use Wineskin to install the Windows version of Steam on Mac OS X. This demonstration was done on Mac OS X Mountain Lion.
For those using Mavericks, make sure you are using Wine version 1.7.8 or better. If you still have issues, you can try the following winetricks settings:
Also, keep in mind that this does use Wine, which is an ongoing project. Most games may not work "out of the box". It may take some more configuration in the actual Wine environment itself to get a specific game to run.
For those you on Mavericks that are experiencing the "ERROR: NoConfigServers Online. Apparently there have been some updates and a possible bug. This is the workaround that I have found.
1. Go ahead and create the Wrapper according to the tutorial using winetricks (make sure you update Winetricks). The reason for this is that the dwrite bug is automatically fixed. So you won't have to deal with that.
2. Go to the Steam website and download the Windows version.
3. Right click and Show Contents of your Steam Wrapper, and double-click the Wineskin.app inside.
4. Click Install Software
5. Point it to the "SteamSetup.exe" that you just downloaded.
6. Run through the install (it will reinstall Steam in the same directory) and it will continue through the Update process and open the Steam Client window.
It appears that whatever was wrong with the "NoConfigServers" bug has been fixed. I did a run through on Mavericks 10.9.2 using Wineskin Engine 1.7.14NoFlicker (the latest version) and Wrapper Version 2.5.12 and was able to follow through the tutorial steps without any errors or additional steps.
A lot of users have been experiencing a "sha1sum mismatch" error during installation. This appears to be a bug within the winetricks script. I have created a new video tutorial for an alternate method of installing Steam. You can view it here.